Anshun Saltworks Wharf, Canal and Office
The coastal area of Tainan had been the earliest developed salt industry area since the beginning of reclamation in Taiwan. However, thouse salt-pans were out of production due to its high cost and the urbanization. With awakening consciousness, the communities dedicated themselves to the revival of salt industry culture and devices. For example, Yancheng community learned salt industry related knowledge, reviving it through community building. Salt-pans Eco-village took Anshun Saltworks and its device as a base for integrating community consciousness, living, culture and conservation, with the hope to become an important area for salt industry culture and environmental conservation.
Anshun Saltworks was opened in 1919, being the first new type saltworks in Taiwan, giving it great importance in Taiwan’s salt making history. The wharf in front of the saltworks office has become a historic spot. The salt produced in Anshun Saltworks would be transported through the canal and Sicao Lake to Anping Harbor for further transportation or refinement. Nanliao located in the central core area of the saltworks, and was thus the best location for the office. The office building, today’s Nanliao Elementary School, Salt worker memorial stele and salt worker residences remain, experiencing the salt industrial history of Taiwan.
The battery was built in 1840 to defend against British aggression after the outbreak of the Opium War between China and the British and is commonly called “Sea controlling castle” due to its solid construction. The only remaining part of the battery is the citadel next to Zhenghai Elementary School’s sports ground, whih is 118.6 meters in length. The guns are no long in place but the holes where they once were can still be seen and are decorated and embedded with red bricks delicately. The site locates near Sicao Dazhong Temple.
Sites and historical space
Experienced with the natural environment changes and regime shifts, the historical remains in the area would be of educational meaning and in-depth tourism.
Luermen Harbor and Zhufagang River both played important roles in the development and governing of Taiwan in the Qing Dynasty.
After the ban on trade with Taiwan was put in 1682, Luermen Harbour was the only legal port for trade between Xiamen and Taiwan.
The old Zhufagang River runs behind Dazhong temple. It was an artificial canal that was dug over 100 years ago to transport goods. It is especially significant for it was the first canal built by the Han in Taiwan. Mangrove grows thick on the two banks of the canal in the mangrove preserve behind the temple, forming the well-known the “green waterborne tunnel” which is a special sight.
The lagoon has an area of 1,350 hectares and is the largest lagoon in Taiwan, and the remains of Taijiang Inland Sea.
Established in 1957 on Wangzailiao sandbank in Cigu Dist., the lighthouse is a square building, with 32.7 meters high, made of wooden boards and steel frame. However, Wangzailiao sandbank lost its ground under the impacts of typhoons and tides. It was damaged in a typhoon and was rebuilt on Dingtoue sandbank nearby in June 1970.
Sea area historical space
Taiwan’s history and marine culture cannot be separated. The culture of the early settlers is closely connected to the marine culture of Taiwan Strait. The sea route from Xiamen to Luermen played an important role in the early development of Taiwan, being the main channel for exchange across the Taiwan Straits and the main sea route taken by migrants from China when they traveled to Taiwan. The important historic spaces in Taijiang sea area include: